Analytics tag

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Kiss @ Jiffy Lube Live - 7/20/2012

Went to see Motley Crue and KISS this past week for the first stop on their tour! (Note that is is not counting the performance they gave for veterans the day before at the same venue) Met up w/ Tony and his cousin and his girlfriend there. Tickets were about $34 a piece after fees and the lawn 4 pack (billed as $20 a piece...a deal!... plus fees X__X). Overall not bad for "THE TOUR" of the year (or so Gene would say).

The Journey: it was raining like a mofo as I got about 20 minutes from the venue. I had a trench so I wold be fine...standing in the lawn. Friday, plus rain, plus very popular bands = Sweet Jesus traffic and weather and so so many people. I eventually  reached the parking lot and was designated to park in ...lot B6. I called Tony and he's in lot F...on the other side of the parking lot. So I begin the trek. There was only some drizzle during Crue, thankfully. I was fearing a downpour for most of the set.

The People: a bit of the leathery legions spotted, but it was getting dark, rainy, and I was a bit more occupied with Tony and co. to do too much scouting. There were several people in KISS makeup, with varying degrees of professionalism. Parents with kids, old timers, younger people, people of all ages were attending. Mostly white, but there def were Hispanic, Asian, and black people that I saw too. There was also a group of kinda beefy young men...in not long jorts, high socks, and boots. So I am not sure if they know that Paul Stanley is (mostly) straight ;3 

After another 20 minutes of walking/waiting/cursing that I didn't have a red solo cup we met up and got in line behind some little girls in KISS facepaint. However, before that, some dude came up to me and started ranting about the government, enforcement of tailgating policies, black people, and weed. So yeah, off to a ridiculous start.

I heard a bit of the Treatment as I was walking to the gate. I swear one song sounded like "All the Young Dudes," but according to setlist.fm they totally didn't play that. Whatever. I don't think we missed anything important

We finally get in after another 10 minutes in line and its about 8PM now, when Crue is supposed to be on. I'm getting a bit agitated cause I've zero beers and Motley is supposed to be on and we have to climb a long set of stairs to get on the massive lawn. Thankfully they go on around 8:10 and we have some cold ones, satiated the restroom daemons, and have secured a place on the lawn. Crue comes out like Rammstein, marching at the front of the stage, carrying some sort of flags. Very odd, like they ripped the Teutonic Terrors off straight up. Anyways, they were about as good as last time- Vince half singing and the rest of the band being pretty solid. They coulda been louder, played longer, and had more chicks (I mean they already had those gymnastic type people [like you see at the Renn Faire] flipping upside down, dancers, etc.).  Apart from that, pretty much what I expected. Tommy's Drum solo had him riding the circular track behind him (like a roller coaster) to be upside down while some dubstep played over the PA.And he hit the cymbals a few times.

Kiss went on after a bit longer (they went on close to 10 I think), and had a huge ovation. KISS had fireworks, pyro, steam, smoke, hydraulics, people being lifted into the air, fire breathing, blood spitting, and lights (which sounds lame after everything else). They sounded great, and I was entertained for the most part, apart from dreading they may play 'Beth' (thankfully they did NOT). We were getting pretty rowdy, but the damp weather kinda put a little kink in the fuller enjoyment. As the encore came up, Tony and I decided to hit the can, as I was sure they'd play a few more songs. HOWEVER, to our dismay as we were about at the restroom, we heard strains of "Rock N' Roll All Nite".... meaning that was the end of the set. I checked my clock and I was sure KISS would play til about 11:30... It was about 11:05. So I was pretty disappointed that we didn't get to hear "Strutter" or "Deuce" at least.

Predictably it was a nightmare getting out of there. Thrown off by the early end of set, we tarried for a bit inside the venue, sitting in some lawn chairs. We then were herded off by the staff, and we chatted for a bit near the gate, slowly making our way to our respective vehicles.I just looked at the line of red lights and hung out in my car for about 20 minutes before I even thought about starting it up to get in line. Eventually  headed out for the long drive in the rain. X_X;

Overall a fun show, but damn I still really dislike Jiffy Lube Live/Nissan Pavilion/whatever- the exit process may have been even worse than last time... KISS sounded great and Crue was entertaining. I woulda preferred longer setlists, but for whatever reason they seemed to be cutting it short. I'd go see KISS again, even if it is giving Paul and Gene even more money while ACE gets probably not much...

Photos:
http://metalcowboy.tumblr.com/post/29096798327/kiss-and-motley-crue-at-jiffy-lube-live-7-20-2012
http://metalcowboy.tumblr.com/post/29096877698/kiss-and-motley-crue-at-jiffy-lube-live-7-20-2012

Setlists:


Motley Crue

Saints of Los Angeles
Wild Side
Shout at the Devil
Same Ol' Situation (S.O.S.)
Looks That Kill
Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)
Sex (Live debut)
Drum Solo
Home Sweet Home
Primal Scream
Dr. Feelgood
Girls, Girls, Girls
Kickstart My Heart


KISS

Detroit Rock City
Shout It Out Loud
I Love It Loud
Love Gun (Paul flies out)
Firehouse (Gene breathes fire)
War Machine
Shock Me (with Tommy and Eric jam/mini solos)
Hell or Hallelujah
Bass Solo (Gene spits blood and flies)
God of Thunder
Lick It Up
Black Diamond
Rock and Roll All Nite

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Gripes? Additions? Hate? Leave a comment!