Analytics tag

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Gorod @ Empire 5/15/2013

Went with my friend Lindsey to see technical death metal band Gorod, who trekked all the way over from FRANCE ($15). We saw otherSteve, Metal Chris, Renae (finally got her name!), and a couple of Lindsey's friends (re: Death to all)


There were a bit more people than I thought would  be there- about 60-70 at the high point. This was also odd in that it was an early show. We got there during one of the openers, and another went on... then someone looked at the settimes and it seemed Gorod would be on at 9:30 (over by 11 at the latest!). SO that was kind of good, but I kind of wanted more

Merch: I did immediately notice that each band had a lot of merch. I only really looked at the Gorod table (shirts, CDs (10), maybe Vinyl), and what was next to it (I think the Vale of Pnath was there), which mimicked the other tables with shirts and shot glasses. I am not sure what other bands/other merch, but I eventually picked up a Gorod CD (10). I perhaps should have gotten one of their older CDs. Oh well.

When we got there, I believe KAMIKABE was on. I listened to a couple songs, but I really wasn't getting into them. They were some sort of death metal. I can't really note too much about them except that their sound wasn't too bad. But nothing about them really grabbed me. We migrated to the Alchemy room for some relaxation but kind of met with some drama.

Vale of Pnath Was on next, and was pretty decent. their first song sounded kinda rough, but  they def got better as their set went on. They were from...Colorado I think. As their set went on, they rolled out songs with more meaty guitar parts, which def interested me more. One thing that I also noticed was that the vocals seemed to be either drowned out, turned down, or that the mic was simply not on. It was kind of comical to see the bearded singer shout his guys out  (you could see veins), and then... not really hear the real result of that. I dunno, they were decent, but nothing that really struck me as distinctive. I would not be opposed to see them again, but I def wouldn't go out of my way to do so.

Gorod came on at about 9:30 PM and sounded very good. I was only slightly familiar with their music (listened to their latest album a couple times), and I knew the harsh vocals would not lend themselves to good note taking- so the setlist is predictably vague. I think the other people in attendance were a bit more... in the know. I def had fun and got pushed around in the pit on a couple songs. The crowd was small but seemed appreciative. The guitars in particular sounded very nice- especially on the technical solos.

One striking sonic item was that the bass drum (I think) was thunderous, a feeling/sound I have only heard/felt with Destrophy when they opened for Otep in 2011. There was a splendidly loud soundwave from the sound that just felt appropriate. I don't know why more bands don't utilize that (unless they risk destroying the speakers or something). Whatever the case, more of that bass would enhance the experience or (if overused) either tire a person out.

I could have used a longer set, but I was kind of glad the show was over early (long week)... but we ended up staying later than anticipated. WHATEVER.  A smaller show, but def not a bad idea for Death Metal fans. 

Photos:
Vale of Pnath
Gorod
Gorod closer

Gorod (9:30-10:30)

  • Birds of Sulphur
  • (Unknown)
  • (Unknown)
  • (Unknown)
  • (Unknown)(song about revenge.. Elements and Spirit?)
  • (Unknown)
  • (Unknown)
  • Carved in the Wind
  • (Unknown)
  • (Unknown) (I think this was Almighty's Murderer)
  • (Unknown)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Gripes? Additions? Hate? Leave a comment!