Analytics tag

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Zac Brown Band @ Merriweather Post Pavilion 6/22/2013

Andrew, Bret, and I went to see Zac Brown and his band at Merriweather Post Pavilion with about 19,000 other people. I always seem to forget how popular these country shows are- white people as far as the eye could see!  (Yes, I do go to some non metal shows)




We arrived at the mall around 6:30 or so and immediately noticed the parking lot was jam packed and people were tailgaiting in the mall parking lot like it was the Merriweather lot. And yes, the honeys were out in full force.. shorts n boots. I look at these country crowds and the pics that soundstage posts for their...various events and seriously wonder how a large percentage of cute girls go to these types of shows...  I think most if not all my photos are of the crowd cause I couldn't capture the band by the time the sun went down.

We eventually made our way to the Pavilion, and discovered that if this wasn't sold out, it was damn near close. The lawn was the most packed I've seen it (perhaps only 2nd to the Virgin Mobile Free Fest that... I saw but couldn't gain entry to), and it was nigh impossible to find a spot to sit/stand.

I'm not sure if Nic Cowan played or not- but I know by the 6:30 start time, we didn't hear anything like loud music from the parking lot (like you can for like every other show). So maybe he didn't play? Or maybe he was all acoustic.. I don't know

We heard some of Levi Lowery (judging by one of my photos), but I don't recall anything about his set. According to setlist.fm he played a Black Sabbath cover!?  We did finangle up to a spot on the left (facing the stage) near the edge of the lawn. Actually I think it was pretty much AT the edge of the lawn. This was a step up from the mud we were standing in, and then I was sent out to scout.

With all the hazy details of the lead up to Zac Brown, I do recall that the crowd came alive with a deafening roar when the intro to ZBB played. They were loud just chatting and hootin' an' hollerin', but this was just madness.  Every song sounded pretty crystal clear (as do the less...heavy musics typically) and pretty much like it sounded right off the album, but better. Zac's rich voice was echoed by the crowd, who sang along to every song that they could. The drums were a little weak, but the rest of the band sounded perfectly fine to me.

The setlist was kind of odd in that there were a ton of covers (9/23 songs) that were sprinkled in with the 'hits' and songs from his latest album. Now I know ZBB has the kind of Jimmy Buffet/Bob Marley crowd, so those made sense (and I think he played them before when I've seen him). The Metallica and Led Zeppelin covers were nice surprises, particularly the Metallica one (even if it sounded a little less heavy than the original). I swear it was a partial version of Kashmir, but I can't confirm or deny that just yet. Even the songs that I am not a particular fan of (DMB, David Gray, James Taylor) sounded rather good. It was a helluva show, and a long set (almost 2 hours!)- capped with a great version of 'The Devil Went Down to Georgia,' so I def feel I got my money's worth ($45 lawn). Again, even during the 'lame' songs, my attention was held- before I knew it, the encore was there and we were done!


 Next Show: the much heavier Lillian Axe or Holy Grail...

Photos:
Levi Lowery, apparently we did see/hear some of him
Merch
The Crowd

Setlist

Zac Brown Band (8:40- 10:35) (According to setlist.fm)

  • Jump Right In
  • The Wind (with Blowin' In The Wind Intro)
  • As She's Walking Away
  • Where The Boat Leaves From / One Love (Bob Marley cover)
  • Free / Into the Mystic (Van Morrison cover)
  • Natural Disaster
  • Toes
  • Day That I Die
  • Ants Marching (Dave Matthews Band cover)
  • Colder Weather
  • Seven Bridges Road (Eagles cover)
  • Martin
  • Babylon (David Gray cover)
  • The Frozen Man (James Taylor cover)
  • Keep Me In Mind
  • Day For The Dead
  • Knee Deep
  • Enter Sandman (Metallica cover)
  • Goodbye In Her Eyes
  • Chicken Fried
  •  
  • Uncaged
  • Kashmir (Led Zeppelin cover)
  • The Devil Went Down to Georgia (The Charlie Daniels Band cover)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Gripes? Additions? Hate? Leave a comment!