Analytics tag

Thursday, October 1, 2015

AC/DC / Vintage Trouble @ Gillette Stadium, MA 8/22/2015

I went to see AC/DC  ($59) for the first time up in Massachusetts! It was a  perhaps more expensive trip than I wanted to take, but made a weekend out of it. I was pretty excited finally getting to see them (sans Malcolm, but how much longer will these guys tour?!). And as of this writing I see rumours of them making their way to DC.

ANGUS AND THE BOYS


First off, up in Boston, people are worse drivers than down in DC- pretty hard to believe but it's true. Secondly, this was my first (and last?) arena show- like football stadium. Gillette Stadium was massive, and I just couldn't process how many thousands of people were there (not to mention gallons upon gallons of beer drank, and money flowing at and around this event). Parking was available on and off site ($40 at Dunkin Donuts I kid you not). Apparently some private citizens were charging the same for parking in THEIR driveways. Lines of cars not even moving down the main street to the stadium. And one local mentioned that this is not even crazy- wait for football!

Dunkin Donuts



On the high way to merch


Merchandise wise, the t shirt stands were PACKED constantly. for pretty expensive shirts. There were also a huge number of sales for the light up/flashing devil horns ($15 a pop). Safe to say this was a huge money maker. I didn't get anything.

Vintage Trouble

Vintage Trouble- a blues sounding, Time- looking band was opening. I think there was not much attention paid to them, but they sounded alright. I don't think I recognized any songs, but they were more blues than rock. Not bad by any means, but I think people just wanted to see AC/DC.

BRIAN JOHNSON

Blurry Skullet


AC/DC came on around 8:45 and played a two hour set, full of classics and a couple from their latest effort Rock or Bust. It was loud as hell, even up in the nosebleeds. I don't know how people go to these shows without earplugs, even a huge arena like this... I almost needed earplugs. Imagine how loud that would be on the ground, or even right next to the stage! I think the mix was a bit distorted from where I was sitting. I think that on the main level, around the stadium, that the sound was a bit more clear (maybe the people and chicken tenders buffered it?). All in all, it was still pretty great and loud enough.

Note all the tiny light up horns


Setlist wise, of course there were songs I'd have loved to hear ("The Jack," "Rocker," etc.), but this hits plus a couple new songs was pretty great for someone who hadn't seen them."Thunderstruck" and "...Rosie" were my favourites. I imagine if you've seen AC/DC they have played about the same thing (minus the new songs), but as it was my first time seeing them live, I had a blast!

ANGUS


For me, seeing another one of the legends of Hard Rock/Metal was great. Brian Johnson still sounded gravely and strong. Angus Young shredding on his guitar did look a little long in the tooth when he slowly shed parts of his school boy outfit (revealing the skullet). Stevie Young (cousin, replacing poor Malcom) was holding it down on rhythm, Cliff Williams was solid, but it was so loud I don't think I could appreciate the intricacies (or lack there of) of the bass. Chris Slade was on drums and thankfully brought the heavy metal thunder (but no solo :3 ).






I left at the encore but could hear the last 2 songs while walking out (perhaps I should have waited to see the canon for "For Those About to Rock?"), and they did sound pretty clear on the lower levels. I don't know how long it took the sea of people to flow out, but I made my way back to Dunkin Donuts and was back to the hotel right quick!

Hella Crowded


Next show: Carlos Santana!

-
Setlists
Vintage Trouble(7:30- 8:10)

  • ?

AC/DC (8:43- 10:45)

  • Rock or Bust
  • Shoot to Thrill
  • Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be
  • Back in Black
  • Play Ball
  • Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
  • Thunderstruck
  • High Voltage
  • Rock 'n' Roll Train
  • Hells Bells
  • Baptism by Fire
  • You Shook Me All Night Long
  • Sin City
  • Shot Down in Flames
  • Have a Drink on Me
  • T.N.T.
  • Whole Lotta Rosie
  • Let There Be Rock (With Angus Young guitar solo)
  • ----
  • Highway to Hell
  • For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Gripes? Additions? Hate? Leave a comment!