Analytics tag

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Pat Travers @ Jammin' Java 10/18/2015

I went to see bluesy guitar legend Pat Travers ($22) at Jammin' Java. Ever since I saw him open for George Lynch at Jaxx (never heard of him before that day), I was a fan- that old guy plays a mean guitar! Jammin' Java is also a nice place for a show- food and drafts, as well as a nice sound system, and a really relaxed atmosphere.


There were about 60-80 people there overall, not a lot, but it was a mid week show, and not really well publicized. I last saw him at Empire with George Lynch, which was a killer show.
I caught part of Hot Buttered Elvis while I had a snack, but the only thing I recalled besides their horrible name was their cover of Black Sabbath's "War Pigs," which didn't sound that bad.




Pat Travers and his band came on around 8:40, and had a decent hour and 20 minute set, despite there being a bit of talking. The banter was actually pretty entertaining- the best being a Phil Lynott story, about Thin Lizzy being pronounced "Tin Lizzy." Other choice cuts were about some... very vocal... fans. I think everyone got that one fan's favourite song was "Daddy Long Legs," but there was no way in hell that was getting played.


Pat and his band played a pretty 'safe' setlist, heavy on the blues covers (thank you setlist.fm), but it didn't seem too much, they all sounded pretty great, even (especially?) the ones that I hadn't heard before. You had some standard blues classics ("...Bad Sign," "Statesboro Blues"), and then an unexpected "Black Betty" cover. I think my favourite this evening still has to be the partially ridiculous "Snortin' Whiskey." It sounds to great live




You can't hear everything, and since Pat's been around awhile (and the fact that I've only seen him live once before) I wasn't sure what exactly we'd hear besides blues, "Boom Boom...," and "...Whiskey." I would have loved to hear the eerie "Stevie," but I think what we got was pretty fun.

Next show: BLIND GUARDIAN

Photos
-
Setlists
Pat Travers (8:38- 10:01)

  • Rock 'n' Roll Susie 
  • Life in London 
  • Crash and Burn 
  • I've Got News for You  (Ray Charles cover)
  • Born Under a Bad Sign  (Albert King cover)
  • Black Betty  (Lead Belly cover)
  • Statesboro Blues  (Blind Willie McTell cover)
  • Red House (The Jimi Hendrix Experience cover)
  • If I Had Possession Over Judgment Day (Robert Johnson cover)
  • Snortin' Whiskey 
  • Boom Boom (Out Go the Lights) (Little Walter cover)
  • -
  • Gettin' Betta 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Gripes? Additions? Hate? Leave a comment!