Analytics tag

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Jackyl 12/7/2011 @ Jaxx

Went to Jaxx on a cold and rainy night to see Jackyl with my buddy and his cousin. There was a decent crowd there, which was surprising for such horrid weather. At one point it was raining SIDEWAYs. About 100, probably a little less.

We all met at Tippy's for some delicious food first. After I ordered the power went out, however. We sat there for 5 minutes wondering what to do (and if I would get to eat). It came back and I ate like 7 tacos.


Some band that I didn't catch the name of went on shortly after we got there at about 9:30. They played a blend of funk and rap that I thought sounded horrible. You could not understand what the vocalist was saying. That and there was someone in a Panda suit dancing about like a madman which seemed to me rather gimmicky. Perhaps they would have done better opening for some more um hip-hop influenced group? Not my cup of tea

Southern Governor came on next. As they were setting up we notice these long haired not lookin old enough to shave chubby boys had some Skynyrd, Black Stone Cherry shirts on. And 3 guitar players. "They better damn well play some Skynyrd with that many people up there" is what my buddy stated. And they played a set that def got one in the Jackyl frame of mind. However, they played Freebird, which I liked but seemed like a faux pax if you are not Lynyrd Skynyrd. Regardless, I was impressed by an opener for the first time in a long while. For young guys they sounded great. Maybe some great things in the future? We'll see

Jackyl FINALLY came on around 11:30 to the tune of some Dixie sounding song. They played some songs I didn't know to start (that still sounded good), but then once they got into their (non new album?) better songs it sounded great. Jesse's mic could have used some work to make it sound better in the mix, but other than that, no real complaints. Crowd was pretty into it and energetic for the most part. Around the encore we started to smell gas. You know what that means! I was chuckling when they played "She Loves My Cock" and the highlight was def the chainsaw during "The Lumberjack."

Overall I am glad I came out, def would see them again. A good time with my buddy Tony to see some solid hard rock/hair band/whatever




Southern Governor
  • ? (cover song- Skynyrd I think)
  • Rock n Roll Hootchie Coo (cover)
  • Going to the Show (an original)
  • ? (Black Stone Cherry Cover)
  • Freedbird (Skynyrd cover)


Jackyl
  • Dixie Intro
  • My Moonshine Kicks Your Cocaine's Ass
  • Freight Train
  • ? (think there was a song here, but might have been part of Freight Train)
  • When Push Comes to Shove
  • Just like a Devil
  • Locked and Loaded
  • Down on Me
  • Secret of the Bottle
  • When Moonshine and Dynamite Collide
  • I stand alone
  • When Will it Rain
  • Dirty Little Mind
  • Redneck Punk
  • ----
  • She Loves My Cock
  • Lumberjack
Note: (Original post )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Gripes? Additions? Hate? Leave a comment!