Analytics tag

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Korpiklaani @ Empire, 9/21/2012

Went to see Korpiklaani with Moonsorrow, Tyr, and Mestatoll @ Empire (Empire). Milla, John, and Kate came with. Saw Dorothy there, slacking with Yesterday's Saints. Nina (A Sound of Thunder) and her husband were hanging out there, too! This must have been a close to sell out show, as we had to park across the street and walk over. The main room was PACKED with people, and the familiar stank of the unwashed assaulted any who dare open the door to the main room.





We got there as Metsatoll was playing, I think we missed the first song. They sounded nice and string to start, but kinda faltered after a couple songs. Not bad, but kind of underwhelming. Crowd had a good reaction for them, some pits. Sound for them was a little muddy.

Tyr was up next, and I liked a few songs that I remembered hearing. They sounded way cleaner than Metsatoll, they were kind of like a true/classic metal with folk blend. The guitar solos in particular were way better than Metsatoll's. They played almost entirely all  material from their newest album. I'd never seen them before, so this was fine with me. some rowdyness for them, but I think the crowd was more into Metsatoll. Their singer needed to be pumped up a bit louder.

Moonsorrow was next, and I noticed a large number of people absent from the floor. These guys were very heavy and very slow. Apparently I missed their fast song when I stepped out to take a break in the new ALCHEMY ROOM after their second song. Milla is a big Moonsorrow fan so she was eating up their set. They were decent, but a real change of pace with their black metal atmospheric sounding pagan metal. I didn't see much crowd reaction before I left, but it was a completely different vibe.

Headed back out to the floor and then promptly headed back to the Alchemy Room for a hastily planned food break. The service was pretty bad. I don't know if it was of the volume of people, the newness of the bartender, or what, but it took FOREVER to get anything.

Korpiklaani was on finally, the band I came to see (I was interested with the others, but I wouldn't call myself a big fan of the others). And they were hella loud and energetic. They played a lot of new songs, but a decent mix overall I think. Frontman's voice was a bit rough like last time, and even a bit drowned out at times. But the crowd was AMPED so that really helped. The crowd was very receptive, sweaty, and energetic (and possibly also fairly drunk). I took it upon myself to try the pit (start it) for Vodka, and had a blast...minus the almost slipping on various sweat/liquid puddles on the floor.

After the pit in Vodka I was really tired. I hung around for Ievan Polka (no leeks :(  ) and then during Rauta I decided to take a break in the other room. and I didn't end up returning. I felt horrible- cramps, sweating, dehydrated, a little banged up from the pit, almost nauseous too. I leaned against the wall near the restroom and heard the rest of Korpiklaani's set. I almost went it for Tequila, but I couldn't force myself to.  After the show, my friends retrieved me and I got a ginger ale. Combined with the fresh air, I felt better. But I think I was fighting a cold. I will have to defer to Their statements about what happened while I was in the other rooms. I heard the frontman got some girl on stage near the end.

Overall a really good tour package, and nice to see a packed show and an enthusiastic crowd, instead of one or the other. Hopefully this tells Empire (empire) that yes please hold more metals shows pleases. The last Korpiklaani show was on a Wednesday and was well attended but not packed. This was a Friday and pretty much a sellout. I would have had a better time if I had boned up on some of the openers a bit more and if I hadn't felt like crap 2/3 of the way thru.

There must have been some cuties, but I was too banged up/out of it to recall ....

Photos:

Metsatoll
Tyr
Moonsorrow
Moonsorrow II
Korpiklaani

Setlists:


Metsatoll
  • Küü
  • Vahid Vapust
  • Kivine
  • Roju
  • Vahid Vaprust
  • Muhu Öud
  • Saaremaa Vägimees


Tyr


  • Flames of the Free
  • Shadow of the Swastika
  • Hall of Freedom
  • Sinklars Vísa
  • Tróndur Í Gøtu
  • Evening Star
  • Hold the Heathen Hammer High
  • By the Sword in My Hand
  • The Lay of Thrym

Moonsorrow

  • Tähdetön
  • Kivenkantaja (I left after this one)
  • Taistelu Pohjolasta
  • Sankaritarina
  • Kuolleiden Maa

Korpiklaani
  • Tuonelan tuvilla
  • Ruumiinmultaa
  • Juodaan viinaa
  • Kipumylly
  • Sumussa hämärän aamun
  • Metsälle
  • Viima
  • Langetus
  • Vaarinpolkka
  • Vodka (PIT)
  • Ievan polkka
  • Rauta (left around here)
  • Happy Little Boozer
  • Tequila
  • Beer Beer
  • Wooden Pints
  • Pellonpekko

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Gripes? Additions? Hate? Leave a comment!