Analytics tag

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Korn/ Device/ Love and Death @ The Fillmore, Silver Spring 5/21/2013

I went to see Korn.

Look before you judge, there are several exonerating circumstances
  • Won free tickets ($45 otherwise F that!)
  • A couple friends were going
  • I had off the next day
  • I wanted to see Device
So my friend Josh was sad I was opting out (I'm not a Korn fan, hella expensive)... then I checked my email and found out that I in fact WOULD be going. So I asked around and found Brianna is a HUGE Korn fan (big enough for the both of us I think). And that Shabba would also be there! I later found out Scott was there, and I know Carlybeth was there (ran into me near the parking garage). WOW. I am very hesitant to label Korn metal, but I know they are really generally labeled as 'nu-metal.' So they are tagged as such.

</rant>



So when I got there, the line snaked all the way around the Fillmore to halfway down a second street. I rolled to the bar, returned when Brianna showed up (7:45ish)... and the line was about as long. I know Josh got in and we found a spot in line we got there. I don't think it was sold out, but it musta been damn close. We eventually got in around 8:17 and saw one of Brianna's friends from Midnight. I checked out the merch ($35 shirts, nothing really interesting), we got a drink. Moseyed over to Josh. positioned ourselves ...and Love and Death stopped playing.

The crowd was kind of like the All That Remains crowd - which was expected. The  Fillmore certainly did brisk business, and the sweat and beer were flowing. The crowd seemed a bit...less civil... than the usual heavy show crowd. Every show you see assholes, of course, but this one, perhaps because of more people, had a higher percentage of unreasonable people. Drunks being extra pushy, others spilling beer on people, and yet more just with no regard for personal space. Not that I am complaining about moshing (well more on that later) or the usual roughhousing during shows, it just seemed less civil.

Love and Death - I only heard a little bit of them as we were walking around. They didn't sound bad, but they didn't sound great. I did notice that they were not very loud tho. Very crystal sounding. It's the side project of that Brian 'Head' Welch from Korn. I heard comments from people who saw the set saying that they were 'trying too hard to be Korn.' I really can't say too much except that the sound quality was great. As a parting note, Brian shouted to the crowd that it wasn't over "Until He says it's over!" I am assuming He= Jesus.  Hey if that's what you need to get thru the dark times, go for it. It just seemed kind of...odd.

We assimilated into the crowd, to hopefully see Device a little closer. As they took the stage, I noticed that... I was expecting more people. There was no bassist or keyboardist. I know they piped in the keyboards, but the bass too? But that was not the strangest part... When the Lita Ford/Ozzy cover appeared in their set, I was looking around for a female singer... and then David Draiman just did both parts himself. "If I sing both parts myself, will this song remain the same?" Kinda. It still sounded good, but... just seemed very odd. As an added bonus, this song featured the best/only guitar solo of the night ... until Korn's cover of another song. I thought they sounded very good, but the set really didn't flow as well as it could have. But the crowd was giving him some mad love.

The crowd surged to the front as Device left the stage. As Korn took the stage, the crowd roared about double the amount they did for Device. It was insane, I'm looking around and nearly everyone was going ape. Except me! So they sounded loud and heavier than I thought they would be... But their bass and drum heavy sound with rap vox and scatting ...I wasn't feelin' it. However, the majority of the crowd was, and they were jumping up and down, pumping fists, shouting, and having some sort of pits. For songs that really had no business being associated with a mosh pit. People were hoisted on shoulders, crowds surfed, the whole shebang... 

Some odd things I noticed: Johnathan Davis took oxygen from a mask in between many songs. I am not sure what that is about, but I def would expect an old timer like Ozzy to do that, not this guy. They had 2 guitarists, which I thought was unnecessary based on the lack of guitar work. It was more ambient guitar. I thought it was comical that  like L.A. Guns, Korn had 4/5 guys with the same hairstyle. In this case it was white people dreadlocks (OK maybe one had corn rows). On one song, one member was playing the bagpipes for a song. I dunno what song it was, but it certainly was unexpected.

Late in the show, Korn did a Pink Floyd cover, which only slightly surpassed the guitar solo from the Ozzy song. Other than that, it was a night of a mostly...simpler...headliner. I'm still not a Korn fan. Regardless of the antics, Jonathan Davis and co certainly had the crowd's full attention. I will say I was entertained- mainly because I was not sure what to expect (song and stage show wise- I only was slightly familiar with a few Korn songs- including the wub wub wub wub wub wubstep one).  They were not really boring, but I was def unfulfilled by their set. However, overall I can't really complain for a free show :3

Next show: Spanish Folk Metal- Mago de Oz!

Photos:

Love and Death and.... the line
 Device w/ David Draiman
Device
Device w/ a metal cowboy?
Korn
Korn w/ bagpipes
Korn  2
Korn 3

Brianna and Me

Setlists
Love and Death
  • ?

Device (8:45-9:26) (my notes)
  • Penance
  • You Think You Know
  • Opinion
  • Out of Line
  • Close My Eyes Forever (Lita Ford & Ozzy Osbourne cover)
  • Hunted
  • Haze
  • Vilify
  • Wish (Nine Inch Nails Cover)

Setlist.fm says
  • Penance
  • You Think You Know
  • Opinion
  • Close My Eyes Forever (Lita Ford & Ozzy Osbourne cover)
  • Hunted
  • War of Lies
  • Out of Line
  • Vilify
  • Wish

Korn (10-11:37)
  • Blind
  • Ball Tongue / It Takes Two / Lodi Dodi
  • Twist
  • Chi
  • Falling Away from Me
  • Narcissistic Cannibal
  • Dead Bodies Everywhere
  • Coming Undone
  • Did My Time
  • Shoots and Ladders / Somebody Someone
  • Here to Stay
  • Helmet in the Bush
  • No Place to Hide
  • Need To
  • Lies
  • Another Brick in the Wall (Pink Floyd cover)
  •  
  • Get Up!
  • Got the Life
  • Freak on a Leash ( thanks setlist.fm for the all the Korn songs I didn't know)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Gripes? Additions? Hate? Leave a comment!