Analytics tag

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Exodus / Yesterday's Saints @ Empire 11/24/2014

I went to see Exodus ($17) on a one-off date from their tour with Slayer and Suicidal Tendencies at Empire. For a Monday night, Exodus drew very well. I think if this was a weekend, it would have been closer to selling out. I saw a bunch of people there- Ariel y Ielm, Sara y Yave, James, Rod, Dwayne, Jose, Neil and Michelle, Kyler, Alie and Nathan w/ a J, Kris, Erika, Miss Lindsey, Dorothy, Matt R, Zach O, Ruby, Marc, Sean, Marie, Steve Harris, GreekGirl, Catherine, and of course Metal Chris! It was great seeing the whole metal family (or many of them!) at this show, and on a crappy Monday night to boot!

EXODUS

I think there were approximately over 300 people there for Exodus. I got one of the last parking spaces, and the floor was rather packed, although it was not uncomfortably full.  I didn't get there in time to see anyone before Yesterday's Saints, but I did members from Blunt Force Rebellion and March to Victory at least. Not a bad turnout for a Monday w/ one touring band (similar to Overkill).


Pretty packed at Empire
The high turnout was very nice and it made me feel good about the (many times) heavy music community here. Monday night and everything was all right! The show didn't last too late either, thankfully for us wage slaves!


With Us, Exodus Merch

Merchandise wise, I saw Blunt Force Rebellion had shirts, YS have shirts, Exodus had their latest CD ($15), Shirts- all pretty much with designs from the new album, a scarf, beanies, backpatch, a flag etc. I didn't find anything that compelling.

Yesterday's Saints


Yesterday's Saints was the first band I saw play after making the rounds. They had  pretty good crowd reaction and something with the Empire sound system was right this evening. This was probably one of if not the best sounding I've heard them. The drums in particular were so thunderous. Frontman Matt Rice's vocals sounded even more Warrell Dane-ish than usual. The whole band sounded pretty tight- but the bass seemed a bit high. But something about their tightness really drew me in this time. I know I heard most of the songs before but I can't recall which one was which- they all had the similar combination of soaring vocals and guttural growls and some heavy guitar. YS is going to release a new album... soon. I hear some streaming new songs, but I'm waiting for the full package!  The crowd had a couple small pits, but nothing overall insane.


 


Exodus, with Steve "Zetro" Souza on vocals- my first time seeing them w/ Zetro- I'd seen them with Rob Dukes previously a couple before. This go-round seemed more energetic, and the smaller venue of Empire really made it more cozy, especially for these thrash legends! The crowd was very appreciative and the pit really opened up for many songs, "Toxic Waltz" in particular, of course. I think several people mentioned going up to Philly on Sunday to catch their show with Slayer as well. Pretty great crowd and a good way to get rid of the Mondays, with some thrash metals!

we were on the Blacklist

Looking at the setlist from the last time, there were a lot of return 'hits.' "The Ballad of Leonard and Charles" and "Lesson..." were the ones not included this time. There was the new album ("Blood in, Blood Out") to support so we got a few off of that. And a Dukes era song, which seemed an odd inclusion. I think my favourites were "Blacklist," "Piranha," and "Toxic Waltz" (how predictable). We got an hour and 15 minutes, a decent time, but it seemed over too quick. So many more songs to choose from!  I think I thought Jack Gibson (Bass) was Gary Holt for the longest time for some reason (mislabel photo?).  I thought the new songs were OK, but nothing that was making me want to run out to grab the latest album.

About the time they asked the crowd to dance

Zetro, Holt, and the rest of the Exodus Attack sounded solid, but the drums may have been a little too loud, because they overpowered Zetro's distinctive voice at times. No one sounded like they missed any notes at all. People were shouting along to most songs anyways. All I heard were raves from most everyone I talked with after the show. I'm not a huge Exodus fan, but I enjoyed the show quite a bit. I think the band came out a bit after the show ended, but I went home to hibernate. A great start for the week IMO!

Next show: Death to All Tours 

-
-
Setlists
Yesterday's Saints (9:15- 9:50)

  • ?

Exodus (10:15- 11:33)

  • Black 13
  • Blood In/Blood Out
  • And Then There Were None
  • ? New song
  •  Scar Spangled Banner
  • Children of a Worthless God
  • Piranha
  • Fabulous Disaster
  • Iconoclasm
  • Bonded by Blood
  • Blacklist
  • War is My Shepherd
  • Toxic Waltz
  • Strike of the Beast

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Gripes? Additions? Hate? Leave a comment!