Analytics tag

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Slayer/ Gojira/ 4Arm @ Fillmore Silver Spring 11/19/2013

We went to see SLAYER (w/ Gojira) at the Fillmore (a pricey $45!!), for an insanely packed show (must have been close to if not sold out). I figured this may be one of the last times to see them again, with drama and then Jeff Hanneman's recent passing. So of course a ton of people were there- I don't think I recall all of them. Ms Lindsey, Marie and Rolland,Ariel y su Mujer,  Kim and her friend, at least (Sangriiiiiiiiiaaa).


Slayer had a bit of merch, like $35 shirts and some other things. Gojira had like $25 shirts, 4Arm had some shirts and a CD. Nothing very interesting, so I didn't get anything.

We arrived while 4Arm was still playing, I think we heard their last 2 songs. I didn't think they sounded anything special, but I was also getting acclimated to the million people in the venue.  Sorry again, 4Arm.  I will say their sound seemed pretty clear thanks to the Fillmore's great speakers and sound system.

Of course at this show you get a mix of metal heads, bros, hardcore ppl, punks, thrashers, and the like. And what seems to be a large number of drunk knuckleheads (moreso than usual). So I can't report on the pits, because I really want to be able to walk out of a show. I think there were a couple fights that I saw.

Gojira started pretty much as M got her food (chicken in a waffle? A bit overpriced), and then the Heavy Frenchmen (well, maybe bad phrasing) took the stage. I don't know if it was where we were standing, but they didn't sound/feel loud enough. I can put in the CD and crank it, and feel my chest vibrate- very heavy. But here, they just sounded a bit loud and muddy. This was surprising, because the Fillmore's aforementioned sound system provides a really crisp and booming sound (when needed)- and that really wasn't the case during this set. Needless to say I was expecting to be enveloped in a sea of heaviness. And I was disappointed. I thought they were good, but was expecting much better. I suppose if I were more familiar with their songs I may have picked up on subtleties a bit more as well.

Slayer had a big curtain up, and then "Hell Awaits" started, and the curtain dropped and people went APE SHIT. I had heard reports of their 'old school' set, and this night was no different- featuring songs that even I was a bit rusty on.  Paul Bostaph was drumming, and Gary Holt (EXODUS) was guitaring- so It really felt like a thrash/death metal version of Kiss, with Tom and Kerry being Gene and Paul (look don't read too much into it cause I'm sure they are less money grubbing than Gene). Whatever the case 50% Slayer still kicked ass for the most part. One part that I did NOT like was that Tom is unable to headbang- this IMO robs his performance of some intensity. It's not like he doesn't want to, but he can't (after whatever surgery that was)- but just having him stand still on stage while Kerry and Gary (wow that rhymes) go nuts is a bit offsetting.  Regardless, Tom and co. sounded pretty excellent over (well you guessed it) those speakers. 

Their set was full of classicks, hits, and even an Exodus cover (that I somehow didn't make out when they did it).  All around a great time- despite some people not being in a very good mood X__X. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't have minded hearing "Payback" or one of their other decent 'newer' songs.  Whatever the case, it was nice to hear those old songs live.  I think the best sounding song of the night was "Raining Blood."

Overall, finally got to see Slayer again, and they were still pretty great.



Photos:
merch
Gojira
SLAYER

Setlists:
(Pretty sure same setlists from other nights for Gojira, thats setlist.fm)
Gojira (8:15 - 9:38)
  • Explosia
  • The Axe
  • Backbone
  • The Heaviest Matter of the Universe
  • Love
  • Flying Whales
  • L'Enfant Sauvage
  • Toxic Garbage Island
  • Vacuity

Slayer (10:30- 11:58)
  • Hell Awaits
  • The Antichrist
  • Necrophiliac
  • Mandatory Suicide
  • Captor of Sin
  • War Ensemble
  • Postmortem
  • Altar of Sacrifice
  • Jesus Saves
  • At Dawn They Sleep
  • Die by the Sword
  • Spirit in Black
  • Hallowed Point
  • Seasons in the Abyss
  • Strike of the Beast (Exodus cover)
  • Dead Skin Mask
  • Raining Blood
  • Black Magic

  • South of Heaven
  • Angel of Death 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Gripes? Additions? Hate? Leave a comment!